Wednesday 14 December 2011

Honest Guv, I Never Complain About Referees

... so says 'Arry Redknapp.

Credibility is a curious commodity and it is a quality that match officials are challenged with every time they step onto the football pitch. But what exactly is credibility?

Credibility is "the quality or power of inspiring belief" or more simply in a word it is "believability" or "trust".

Harry Redknapp (pic from here)

Compared with match officials, club managers and coaches are not usually challenged or scrutinized on grounds of credibility, so the recent media spotlight on Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp's comments was a pleasant surprise. Redknapp said:

"I never complain about referees' decisions - I have not done it in 30 years of management, never. But today, I'm afraid, he got some badly wrong."


Never 'Arry? Never say never ...

A Recent History of Redknapp's Referee Rants (from BBC Sport)

* "I've never been one for criticising referees - it's never been my game - but it was a blatant penalty. If you get the penalty, it could make a big difference."
On Howard Webb, November 2010

* "I never walk in after games and complain about a referee but this guy is scary. He's a poor referee and I've seen him make a mess of so many games. He's really not good enough."
On Steve Tanner, December 2008

* "I just question the referee's overall performance which I thought was inept. Every game I see this season has seven or eight bookings. I think it's frightening."
On Andy D'Urso, February 2008

And if the above evidence is not enough, The Telegraph provides further examples of Harry Redknapp's Referee Rants (see here).

Sorry 'Arry, you 'lovable' cockney you! Just like the stereotypical cockney chaps who are perceived to be second-hand car salesman or back-of-the-lorry product dealers, the media have shattered your credibility. It is not really the media's fault though, since individuals have to take responsibility for their own past words and deeds.


Note: Unfortunately, I did not watch the EPL match between Stoke and Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 11 December 2011. The match finished 2—1. I would be interested to know how Referee Chris Foy and his assistants performed, even though as Referees we all know that the losing or aggrieved team complains the loudest.

No comments:

Post a Comment